The 2009 Denton Reads author is Gregory Maguire, noted author of Wicked: The Life and Times of The Wicked Witch of the West and the upcoming Matchless: a Christmas Story.
The Denton Reads Project was formed in 2006 to achieve the following goals:
- Unify the community by bringing together not only UNT, TWU and DISD students; but also year-long residents of all ages, races and backgrounds by reading one book and promoting discussions of a common text.
- Provide outreach to the community by hosting exhibits, guest speakers, discussion groups, film screenings, poetry readings, children's programs and other cultural events that are free and open to the public and are clustered around one subject.
- Promote literacy and a love of reading.
- Encourage a partnership between the city, the universities, community groups, and businesses.
- Allow people an opportunity to read, celebrate, and share with their fellow community members.
Denton Reads is a One Book, One Community Project. It was formed in 2006 by representatives from the Denton Public Library, the University of North Texas Libraries, the Texas Woman's University Libraries, and the Denton Public Independent School District.
- 2007: Denton Reads... about the environment.
- 2008: Denton Reads... Orson Scott Card
- 2009: Denton Reads... Gregory Maguire
The One Book, One Community project was established in 1998 by the Washington Center for the Book. It has since been adopted by over 150 communities around the world.